When it comes to eating chickpeas, most people immediately think of making hummus. While there’s no denying the taste of that creamy and delicious dip, you don’t need a food processor to enjoy your chickpeas! Sujata Din combines the savoury texture of these luscious legumes with the sweetness of beets for an all-round winner!
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 2 medium-sized beet
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic chopped finely
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil the beets for 3 to 4 minutes and once cooled, slice and layer in a plate. Layer the tomatoes, chickpeas and crumbled feta cheese over the beet slices.
- Make a dressing by combining the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Dress over the salad and garnish with parsley leaves.
- If you can, it’s best to boil your own chickpeas at home in batches. For those who are short on time and want a healthy lunch, use the canned BPA-free ones.
If pitas and falafels are on the dinner menu for the night, adding this Middle Eastern-inspired salad will do the trick in complementing the main course. Chickpeas are also a great source for plant-based protein, so this salad is a great way to boost your protein intake for the day in vegan/vegetarian-friendly way!